The Texas City Emergency Rental Assistance Program is available for renters who live within the City of Texas City limits. Eligible households and their landlords may qualify for up to three months of assistance with past or future rent, not to exceed 120% of Fair Market Rates in Texas City/Galveston County. See below.
Both the tenant and landlord must apply for past-due rent (or arrears) for the same property, using the online application available through TexasCityHelp.org. Funds will be distributed in the order in which completed applications are submitted by both eligible tenants and their landlords, prioritized based on the highest level of need.
Tenant eligibility criteria is below. Go to Landlord Eligibility
Tenants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must be a Texas City resident living in the property for which rent (or arrears) is owed
- Your landlord must also apply; payments are made to the landlord
- Must provide an accepted form of identification. See list below.
- You cannot live in a public housing unit operated by a Housing Authority or be a recipient of a Section 8 voucher
- Applicant must be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor.
- Household income must fall at or below 80% of the Area Median Family Income. See table below.
- One or more adults in the household must have qualified for unemployment benefits; experienced a reduction in household income; incurred significant costs; or otherwise experienced financial hardship due directly to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- One or more adults in the household must be able to demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability, such as past-due rent, a vacate notice, court-issued eviction notice, fleeing domestic violence, or documented inability to pay future rent
- Must be able to provide a fully executed rental lease or agreement where the lease is in the applicant’s name and the applicant is responsible for monthly rent payments
- Read and agree to full Terms & Conditions of the program prior to submitting the application
Landlords must meet all of the following criteria:
- Ensure that tenants submit applications for the same properties that are submitted by landlords.
- May apply for more than one tenant in a single property by using one application
- Must provide a valid W-9 for payment to the owner of the rental property
- Must confirm that any rental arrears submitted for consideration are for properties located within the City of Texas City only
- Must read and agree to full Terms & Conditions that are outlined prior to submission of the application. Please review thoroughly prior to submitting application.
|120% of Fair Market Rent|
Acceptable Forms of Identification
- Driver’s license or other state-issued ID
- U. S or foreign Passport
- School ID
- Nonprofit membership ID
- US Visa
- Work permit
- Legal permanent resident (Green card)
- Office of Refugee Resettlement ID
- Work IDLibrary card
- Handgun license
- US military card
- Texas Election ID certificate
- Matricula Consular
- Foreign (non-U.S.) passport
2021 Area Median Income for Texas City/Galveston County
|Household Size||Monthly Income||Annual Income|